Monday, April 07, 2003

I lied: It is the German that is driving me crazy. (Not a person: the language.) I left class almost in tears today. I studied so hard and I'm more confused than ever. I had to make a decision: do I want to go through this for the next two and a half months? It doesn't even matter who's at fault, the teacher or me or the combination of the two of us. Maybe I'm too old to pick things up quickly. Maybe she's too inexperienced. But one thing that's different about me now from thirty years ago: I did something about it. Tomorrow I'm changing from her class to Individualized Instruction. That wasn't my first choice but maybe that's what I've been led to. After all, I'm not a typical student for a lot of reasons, the least of which is my age: I never took German in school (but the French is the first to pop up when I need a German word), I've had a lot of exposure to Germany and things and persons German (including my husband and my in-laws), and I've been trying to teach myself German, with varying degrees of success, for over six years now.